Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Buharis' mutton samosas and Mount Road stories

A Mount Road 'like'r mentioned about Buharis and its mutton samosas on the sidelines of a recent Madras Day event. That is when I got to know that the famed samosas were being sold at all Buharis outlets ( there are lots of them now and mostly doing well) sold the samosas.

But one had to get there by 4 p.m.

I was driving past one in Adyar and it was 3.45 p.m.. So we stopped by and picked by a pack - costs Rs.65.

I recall the times in the 70s when we gobbled them up at Buharis on Mount Road - they were sold at 10 paise a piece, crunchy ones and filled to the edges with mutton. They are still tasty.

I had thought of hosting a Mount Road Walk this 2016 season. When  I do it I start at The Hindu office gates and end at Buharis or LIC. But the nasty climate ( it is 37degrees now) has discouraged me from announcing this Walk.

I lived close to Mount Road in the 60s and 70s and have collected loads of stories - of people, shops, places, the road itself.

Lots of seniors have their own Mount Road stories. I shared one note on the Madras Day FB page - written by Dr Beatrix D' Souza, former MLA and MP and San Thome resident, and posted on her social media page


Perhaps, there is an illustrated book on this road that must be written. What do you think?

No comments: